System Shock™ 2
Update 2.48 (26 July 2019)
- The update fixes a few in-game issues as well as restoring a previously unheard e-mail from SHODAN. It's in Ops. Can you find it?
- The MacOS version of the game has been completely redone. Gone is WineSkin 2.8.2 and Wine 2.12, and in its place is WineSkin 22.214.171.124 and Wine 4.11. This should allow the game to run much better on more modern Mac computers. I've tested this extensively on my MacBook 15-inch, 2018 model with Mojave 10.14.5 installed as found no issues.
- Because of this MacOS update, the base system requirements for this game have to be changed as I can no longer support the old MacOS operating systems reliably. Mojave 10.14 is now the base OS requirement for this game.
Patch 2.47 ND (10 July 2018)
- updated core files to 2.47
- ops4 now has a proper multiplayer respawn point, so should a player die before activating the QBR machine, they will respawn in the bulkhead instead of the game exiting to the main menu
- squashed a few more rogue props on a couple of objects
- restored the (delightful) worm consumption sound when healing from piles of worms
- fixed a few typos in filenames that were causing a few object textures to not load properly
- fixed that broken animation that would sometimes snap NPC hands and heads around in the Happy Noodle bar
Update (21 May 2018)
- Fixed the broken teleporter in the German version of the game
Patch 2.46 ND Update 3 (12 April 2018)
- the transmitter quest art code bits are now properly added as pda notes
- the transmitter now actually requires the player to restore power before it can be activated
- the purge radiation and reset power at Engineering quests will now always start up properly
- the Many brain ambience will now always stop once the Many sequence ends
- the wormheart implant heal and wormskin armor psi/health drain effects finally don't break upon level transition anymore
- fixed physdims on consumable alien organs, beakers and the autorepair unit
- fixed the cigarette script
- decontamination shower will work properly for all players in MP
- fixed trigger size on deployed proximity grenades so they would not explode prematurely dealing next to no damage, this means luring lesser enemies into mine traps is now a viable strategy
- the engine core flow ambient will start to play only after the engine has been activated, and the lighting setup works properly now
- readded missing hitspangs on the shotgun
- fixed some more AIs not being affected by the stasis field generator
- fixed rumbler being almost immune to worm guns (will take proper damage from the human mode now)
- tweaked the worm launcher projectiles setup, should be less wonky now when homing to targets
- added a ladder to the Hydro2 lilypad area that was very difficult to get out of
- resolved a few transparency issues on some flora
- added a rad meter to the Rick1 torpedo radiation area, and lowered the rad dosage received, as there is no more need to insta-kill the player because it's not possible to get through the area without purging the radiation anymore
- fixed conflicting flags on some spawnpoints that were causing the player to easily witness spawns under certain conditions (seeing a spawn should now be limited to edge case scenarios)
- fixed the extra spawn setups at Ops4 and Eng1 that were meant to make the player's life difficult when trying to complete the transfer Shodan and set core to overload quests to activate when the quests are received instead of when they are completed
- the underwater vent in the Many level will no longer insta kill the player by smashing him against the water surface
- the Happy Noodle bar on Earth now looks like a functional bar
- NPCs on Earth no longer use corpse skins
- the DE build was not loading some translated texts and textures properly, fixed now
- the DE build was already partially uncensored, finished the job and uncensored it completely. no more of that green blood nonsense
- removed invalid locations from install.cfg, this is required to load all the patched resources properly
Patch 2.46 [OSX] (26th February 2018)
- Updated the Mac version of System Shock™ 2 to be compatible with Mac OS X 10.13.3 "High Sierra".
Patch 2.46 [Windows] (30th January 2018)
- The EXE has been renamed from Shock2.exe to SS2.exe to avoid old Windows compatibilities being applied on game launch.
- Fixed the problem with battery not fully charging items sometimes,
- Partially fixed the problem with Pyro field glow effect never going away after saving and loading while active,
- The Recycler will no longer recycle equipped implants, preventing issues,
- Fixed many miscellaneous problems on doors, lights, and eggs,
- Fixed many upside down or badly rotated objects,
- Fixed many cases of rogue props on objects,
- Fixed quite a few cases of script duplication,
- Fixed a few extreme cases of objects floating off walls and floor,
- Fixed the almost completely broken 'Find Delacroix' quest,
- Fixed a couple of quests that were starting up or completing in a slightly buggy way
- Fixed all the broken piles of worms in the last few levels,
- Some tweaks to various existing setups to make them work smoother (explore the DML files if interested in details),
- Disruption grenades now actually deadly as per their description,
- Rick turrets now corpse normally,
- Grenade Hybrids now launch grenades from their hands instead of their abdomens,
- The starting controls now use WASD,
- The default music volume level has been lowered slightly,
- Enhanced Precision disabled by default as having it enabled was causing issues with Windows 10,
- The default resolution when starting the game is now 800x600,
- Fixed the Rick1 torpedo radiation area so it is not possible to progress without purging the radiation, as that could result the game getting into an unwinnable state,
- Few Rick1 areas were made less prone to unintentional falls,
- Restored the broken MedSci2 sub-armory code PDA note,
- Fixed some AIs failing to perform their scripted event under certain circumstances,
- Ops2 red assassin will trigger properly even when approached from the other side,
- Fixed some AIs not being affected by the Stasis Field Generator,
- Simplified the MEDSci broken door fix,
- A few membranes were moved a bit in the Many level,
- The Shotgun now has a muzzle flash,
- Navigation markers now properly identified by HUD, and can also be deleted by selecting,
- A few more fixes to some improper objects.
- The in-game UI is now set at a fixed resolution, and will scale better at high (1920x1080 and above) resolutions. If you wish to disable this change, open cam_ext.cfg in NotePad, and add a semicolon to the beginning of the line 'd3d_disp_scaled_2d_overlay 800 600'
Patch 2.45 ND (04 April 2016)
- additive blending enabled for all explosion effects (makes the explosions NOT look terrible)
- enabled FSAA by default (smooth edges)
- enabled new mantle (smooth climbing)
- enabled buffer limit (reduce lag)
- made autosaves and quicksaves NOT overwrite one another (reduces chances of people who forget to save losing progress)
- enabled subtitles, fogging and weather effects (may be required by mods or fan missions)
- made sure all cutscenes are scaled properly
- added one dml that makes sure the "reach Rickenbacker" quest completes properly (dml fixing is usually SS2tool exclusive, but made an exception for this one, as broken quests are a big no-no)
- removed the DataPermMods quick modfolder (as this is now a sureproof way of busting your SS2 install - you will have to get the modmanager or SS2tool to mod the game safely)
Patch 2.44 ND (21 December 2015)
- We've updated the Windows version of System Shock to NewDark 2.44.
- The Mac version will be updated soon.
Patch gog-14 (04 November 2015)
- We've uploaded an updated version of System Shock™ 2 for Macs that is compatible with El Capitan.
- This update means that disabling the System Integrity Protection feature is no longer required.