Death Road to Canada
Update 05.12.2017 (07 December 2017)
- ZP skulls added! Touch them to get them to stop laughing at you for a moment and also give you a Zombo Point.
- ZP skulls can randomly be added to loot generated in most building types.
Rare Events and Encounters
- Road Event: Cursed Treasure. Permanently screw up a character in exchange for getting a pirate cutlass or other melee weapons. Or just accept a Goblin Gift Basket or the Dingusnomicon.
- Road Event: Chainsaw Hand Replacement. Also includes complimentary Double Barrel Shotgun!
- New rank of Rare Finder added. This will let you get up to 4 rare events per game and very slightly increases their chance (currently to 4/55 or so)
- City Encounter: Sewer Rodent
- City Encounter: Department of Motor Vehicles
- DMV Event: Completely Legally Binding Name Change
- Rare Camp Recruit: Earnestine. Wielder of the Farmer's Shotgun.
- Rare Encounter Recruit: Tortuga. Some kind of green rodent?
- Sai: Like the ninja's kunai, except normal characters can actually use it.
- Chainsaw Hand: The tiniest chainsaw. Very efficient, slightly less damage output, stuck to your arm forever.
- Double Barrel Shotgun: Zombie obliteration for players with a big pile of shotgun shells saved up. Double the piercing of most shotguns!
- Farmer's Shotgun: Unique double barrel shotgun with +33% damage and faster reload times.
Tweaks and Fixes
- Htdg Car and Htdg Heaven now censored.
- Htdg alternatives added.
- DON'T ASK, though I may write an explanation article for the above later.
- Text skip for mobile on touch
- Mobile adjustments for some narrow screen sizes
- Grim Reaper no longer drops his Scythe
- Removed the break chances when using the shotguns as melee weapons
- Big Dawg: Trader cost set to 35, down from 40
- Big Dawg: Piercing increased to 15%, up from 10%
- Typo fix: "the less busy side road"
Update 07 August 2017
- Fixed bad blurb logic for Bee Man
- Removed an old outdated countdown timer for Scientist that was making her leave your group after one event
- Added in a personality randomizer on game start, so your starter characters will no longer have the same personality stats each game if they're supposed to be random
- "True Katana" in weapon buyer menu changed to "Strong Katana" for consistency
- Fixed costs for the bots
- Changed Specialist and Travel Light to properly account for Gun Collector
- Surgeon now starts with Scalpel instead of Cleaver
Update 30 June 2017
- Events for Canada Day and July 4th added.
- Beavers are now recruitable/playable characters.
- Uncle Sam added.
- Muscle Eagle added.
- Death sayings and blurbs added for beaver, Uncle Sam, Muscle Eagle.
- Typo fix for a pessimist blurb
- Angrystrong events now count your effective strength, so bonuses apply. This means that TST*C will give these options properly.
- Calmshooter events now use effective shooting.
- Wits checks now use effective wits, just for consistency. This will never come up because there are no "wits bonuses" in the game so far.
- Total shooting skill for group checks now pass over dogs. This fixes a weird thing in the "help settlement against bandits" event, where you'll do way worse if you have a dog in the party.
- The above also applies to the other skills, except fitness.
- If you lose Mjolnir, it now returns to your trunk rather than the Valkyrie's inventory. This makes it consistent with Lnk bombs and Ninja supplies, which also used to return to those characters. All were changed because they could overwrite other weapons.
Update 19 June 2017
New Unlock System
- Use the new Zombo Points to unlock new perks, traits, a special Gnome Trader, and passive bonuses! Keep reading to see full list of perks, traits, and bonuses.
- Earn ZP by surviving siege/gauntlet events. Earn more ZP by playing higher difficulty modes and beating the game.
- Old perk upgrade system now replaced by Zombo Point based upgrades.
- When starting the game, your old perk levels should be converted to the new system automatically, letting you keep your old levels.
- Each character that survives to the end will now get a short epilogue, based on their personality, skills, and other factors.
- Some perks and traits have their own list of epilogue lines.
- Special characters tend to get their own special epilogues.
- Different endings now change the ending text.
- Beating normal, rare chars, or familiar chars will increase your ZP cap to 15.
- Beating Deadlier Road will increase your ZP cap to 20.
- If you've already beat them before the update, you should get these bonuses automatically on game start.
- Sleepy Trader: A rare trader. Gain invaluable wisdom.
- Bort: Very hard to get recruit, summoned by special antique can ritual.
- Just Like Bart: Bort blossoms into this. The ultimate Bart.
- HENK/HONK/etc: Camp recruit. Can buy a new pistol from him, or recruit him along with an upgraded version of the pistol.
- Samedi: Camp recruit, has a skeletal army. Loves skeletons. Also gets Phoenix.
- Kaiju: Can you save the city from a giant monster?
- Nimbus Ordeal: Starts with a weapon that's even stronger than a claymore! This has multiple horrible catches.
- Battle Rodent: Is a super-intelligent pet that gets Shield of Hope for free, with decent strength and fitness. Is some kind of gerbil?
- Bogan: A new rare city recruit. Has Gnomish Healing Factor. 'Nuff said.
New Text Events
- Lost Sneezing Remedy event. Can you survive?
- Battle of Garbage Mountain event, trade your well-being for strength or fitness gains.
- GameBronus event, trade morale for a point in shooting, mechanical, or medical.
- Giant Spider Ambush event. Try eating it.
- Strange Vending Machine event, trade morale/your soul for a one choice in a list of randomized items.
- Rare Event: VHS tapes. Pick a movie to benefit the entire group.
- Top Seller: Prevents morale loss when paying food tolls to bandits, and also provides a discount to these tolls. In addition, gives you more food when selling to the weapons buyer.
- Pathfinder: For people that hate walking. Drastically reduces the amount of walking penalty events you get.
- Hidden Potential: Either strength or fitness will be able to go one point over maximum. This is randomized, and hidden from you.
- Trademark Weapon: Start with an aluminum bat! Can't drop it, ever. This weapon will change if paired up with certain traits! Example: Warrior starts with a Fire Axe, instead!
- Natural Shot: Over maximum shooting, though doesn't actually start with a gun.
- Shield of Hope: You can't die. As long as you keep your morale up.
- TST*C: Massively over-the-maximum strength! Tiny, tiny fitness. Does NOT do cardio!
- Travel Light: Only gets two carrying slots, but starts with a bonus dexterity point for faster runspeed.
- Specialist: Big BERSERKER!-esque bonuses to combat skills, but you only have one carrying slot!
- Grappler: Pick up fallen zombies! And also...
- Hero Type: If someone in the team would have died in a text event, this character will save them. Only works once per game, after which it converts to a max loyalty trait.
- Anime Fan: Has an overpowered unbreakable True Japanese Steel Katana. Warning: Do NOT hit max morale. Do NOT look at anime. Do NOT interact with the anime truck.
- Sound Sleeper: Does not get TIRED from events, ever.
- City Seeker: Finds rare city encounters three times as often as a normal character.
- Tiny Eater: Needs only 1 food per day instead of 2. Gets a -2 penalty to max strength and a -1 penalty to max fitness.
- Gourmand: Eats 3 food per day instead of 2. Gets 1 point of morale whenever they eat! Loses 1 more morale than normal if starving.
- Phoenix: Character will return from the dead, once, in a giant zombie-clearing explosion.
Tnomey, the Trader Gnome
- Shows up in every trading camp, and has different random item choices that all cost Zombo Points to buy!
- Can buy ONE thing from him per game, at which point he stops appearing for rest of game.
- Can be unlocked and upgraded via the Unlock Gnome in Zombo Town
- Tier 1 items (10 ZP): Supplies, and a random Normal Recruit event. No special characters.
- Tier 2 items (20 ZP): More supplies. Battle Rodents. Some simple ranged weapons or a grenade.
- Tier 3 items (30 ZP): Even more supplies. Random Special Character from the GOOD list. Sledgehammer or Fire Axe.
- Note: Read below for details on what constitutes the GOOD and BAD special character lists.
- Tnome's inventory changes if he's seen and you enter a new camp.
- INFO button replaced with UNLOCKS button, which leads to Zombo Town.
- Three new characters in the Perks and Traits hut, that sell unlocks and upgrades for the old and new perks and traits.
- Secret UNLOCK GNOME that sells passive upgrades. Signs of him show up after getting a couple unlocks.
- Data Clearer character added
- Tutorial Replay character added
- BUILD INFO character added
- Build Info robot also gives directions
- Stats character added
- Support for changing Zombo Town as unlocks are purchased
New Player-Usable Weapons
- Sturdy Cleaver added, for some Trademark Weapon trait combos
- Ded9 added, sold by HONK. As strong as the Dolt revolver, fires as fast as the pistol. Carries 80 ammo instead of the dolt's 60 or pistol's 90.
New Special Character Only Weapons
- Modded Ded9: Very accurate, tiny recoil. Dolt strength zombie piercing, and fires slightly faster than the pistol! Carries 120 ammo.
- Skateboard: Dont have cow man
- Guster Sword: Like a claymore, but hits even harder. Is also 25% slower.
Passive Unlocks from Unomey the Unlock Gnome
- Series of upgrades that increase your Zombo Point maximum capacity. The first two can be gained for free by beating the game up to Deadlier Road mode.
- Series of upgrades that give you bonus ZP for performing different actions: Rescuing people/dogs, selling to a weapons buyer, recruiting new allies. The final upgrade gives you 1 ZP whenever an ally dies (!!!)
- Toilet Upgrades. Lots of toilet upgrades. The first two levels double the gas and then bullet amounts from toilets.
- Level III Toilet Upgrade lets toilets sometimes contain a weapon or skeleton, introduces new loot types, and raises the toilet loot chance to 30% up from 20%
- Level IV Toilets make Toilet Genies show up every 50 toilets, instead of every 100.
- Unlocked the Trader Gnome, then sells upgrades to increase the things that Tnomey sells.
- Support for adding more to Unlock Gnome in future
UI and System Changes
- Perk and Trait info may now be shown in a text event, used for the trait/perk sellers in Zombo Town.
- Perks and Traits may now be locked/unlocked
- Perks now have more specific unlock tracking
- New page scrolling effect for the perks and traits pages
- Currently selected perk/trait is now highlighted in green
- Fixed a bug on the trait page with the scrolling being off by one
- Made keyboard cursor navigation smoother for perk/trait pages
- NEXT LEVEL indicator now says what the perk will do for the next level, instead of showing what you need to unlock it.
- Automatic cost calculator for perk upgrades
- Game now supports 10 custom character pages!
- Toilet Paper event now gives a zombo point if you keep the TP.
- One less trader event and one less familiar recruit event in the calendar cycle
- Calendar cycle shortened to 10 days instead of 11
- Special characters separated into GOOD and BAD special lists. The BAD list isn't randomly selected by TNOMEY's random special character option. It includes both characters that kind of suck, and characters that are good but time limited, making them disappointing to get if you spend 30 ZP on them.
- Hunting Rifle no longer breaks in melee
- Fixed some old instances of left/right character flipping not working correctly
- Fixed a very old bug with Friend of Dog that made it roll twice for dog
- Future support for stat average checks for the entire team.
- Set a deprecated CHARM stat to "0" (which is 3 due to being a stat).
- Future support for new locations
- Tweaks to anime girlification to work better with Anime Fan
- Tweaks to eating checks to work better with Tiny Eater, Gourmand, and weird pets
- Sumo now starts with Gourmand
- Sumo may now get Super Sumo from a rare event
- New death sayings for some characters
- Modified appearance for Skeletal Trader
- Body skeletonization now properly gives claws
- New blurbs for new characters
- Fix for Billy having an unshuffled blurb deck, another very long standing bug
- You can no longer sell Lynn's Zweihander
- Bruce and Danger Rangers tweaks to hopefully make them more stable
- Bruce and Danger Rangers houses simplified
- Trader Camp Region 5's car position altered
- Removed a useless extra 1 in longroad setup.
- Removed old code for the longer game modes that accidentally made their last few days have nonstop sieges. Woops! That bug's been in for almost a year.
- Fix for persistent echo effect
- Breaking your old car, then driving off in a new car on the same map should no longer cause the game to bug out and force you to be walking.
- Yallmart trader camp should no longer have those weird concrete patches in the Northwest corner
- Possible fix for the "character in text event staring at nothing" bug
- Fix for the bug that would cause you to lose characters if you got kicked out of a trader camp while your teammates were in a different building than you
- Lots of small fixes and small things I left out of this list
BRAINSTEM Update (21 April 2017)
- Passed out Bar rescue no longer picks weapons up when unconscious
- Alternate foodless method to wake up POBR, takes a bunch of time instead.
- Civilized now always starts with 1 morale, preventing cases where it started with 0 or -1. No more INSTANTLY LOSING a Civilized recruit.
- Less frequent NOT ENOUGH MED SUPPLIES blurbs
- OUT OF MEDS blurb lasts longer onscreen, same time as other med messages
- OOM blurb can happen again if you heal, if a day passes, or you load a save.
- Revamped CAR NUT now let you choose whether or not you want the new car if you recruit a CAR NUT after the game starts.
- CAR NUT start of game check moved to game-start.df rather than the perk definition itself.
- Added familiar-recruit-check for the CAR NUT choice and future things like it. We can move other things here if requested, so that a recruit properly only gives you things if recruited. Let us know in the comments.
- Group healing doctor and trainers now have LEAVE as the first, default choice. Temporary measure until we can add extra options.
- Strength trainer strength check event now moved to last option.
- Cars no longer run out of gas if they have 0 car-mpg. No more losing the alien car for it being out of gas, hopefully.
- Wizzle Stick now properly gets a weapon score bonus. Maybe this will make the wizard stop using baseball bats instead of his staff. Let me know!
- Fixed a needless extra dup with zombie summoning that lead to putting garbage on the memory stack.
- Put in a missing day-passed tracking for a CYOA camp option
- Cancelled LNK day
- Pronoun correction for bully-sprayit
- Corrected recruit-familiarreplace, before it was unused and familiar characters were using the normal recruit-replace
- Changed familiar camp recruits to also use the above
- Modern Spear is now named Tactical Spear, which is a much more tactical name.
Patch (23 March 2017)
New Weapon Buyer feature added to the Trading Camps!
- Weapon Buyer buys weapons she considers valuable. She's picky!
- Minimum melee weapons: Roughly nightstick/sledgehammer/fire axe.
- Minimum firearms: Roughly Dolt 45/cowboy rifle/shotgun. No pistols.
- Gives about 20-25% market food value for your weapons, as a rule.
- Buyer looks at the inventory of whoever you're using to talk to her.
- Weapon Buyer shows up as often as the Gas Buyer does, but in different camps for the most part.
- Weapon Buyer shows up in the Final Trading Camp, always.
- Buying from the weapon buyer will update your food count so it counts as being in the trunk, letting you use the new food on other merchants.
- If you have no weapons she's interested in, she'll give a hint as to whether another character has something she wants, or if there's something in the trunk.
- Common Trader: Polearm Pal. Sells Bardiche (25 food), Modern Spear (9 food), Stick Boot (6), Pitchfork (3)
- Rare Trader: Skeleton Knight. Sells Skull Hammer (25 food), Gladius (15), 5 Bomb Skulls (5 food).
- Rare Recruit: Ultimate Sports Fan.
- Skeleton Knight can also be recruited, technically.
- Modern Spear: Designed as a great single-target weapon for lower fitness/strength characters. Lighter than a baseball bat, while doing 50% more damage. Has the special half-fatigue trait, so it takes half the energy it should to stab things with it.
- Bardiche: A mix of Medieval Axe and Claymore. It's a cheaper endgame weapon, with the downside of it being really heavy.
- Stick Boot: The ultimate weapon????! No refunds.
- Poolcue Spear: A rare spear sometimes found near pool cues. Like a Modern Spear, but with a much higher chance to stab an extra target. Can break, but is as sturdy as a Cleaver.
- Sports Horn. More airhorn blasting than ever before, even the AI can use it. If wielding by the Ultimate Sports Fan, this will recharge at the start of each location.
1 Foam Hand: We're #1! The USF's secondary weapon.
- Skull Hammer: Like the Mega Maul, but better.
- Gladius: Similar to the Sturdy Machete, with higher cleave and damage and a little less weight.
- Bomb Skull: Beware the bomb skulls.
- Shovel no longer breaks.
- Shotgun Peddler's shotgun price reduced from 10 -> 7
- Pubert and Puberto added to the name lists for male characters.
- Some new trader camp NPC sayings.
- Goat attack is now half-fatigue, instead of 0.1 fatigue (!)
- CHOOSE YOUR PALS WISELY tutorial guy is no longer seen by zombies until you talk to the person, like all other rescue recruits now.
- No more zombie spawning from the starting door in the tutorial (unless you wait for hours).
- Tweaks for iOS/touchscreen controls.
- Grammar/typo fixes.
- Various other bugfixes.
Halloween Update (31 October 2016)
- Cats are in. Evolutionary pressure in the apocalypse has caused them to revert back to something like a mountain lion. They're big and angry.
- Couple different ways to get cats recuirted to your team. They'll always be very rare, but we may add more ways to get them later.
- Special events for cats. Despair, car driving, and more.
- Cats don't give two poops about Canada or driving cars (pardon my French).
- Cats can't become Superdogs in the usual sense.
- Future support for more pet types. Currently in as failsafes, like if someone decides to try to make a pet mod.
- Losing a character in a CYOA event will now cause that character's weapons to drop into the trunk automatically!
- There are some events that will still eat cause you to lose your weapons, so beware. This mostly includes events where you're betrayed, or events where someone is completely obliterated off the face of the earth.
- Wielded weapon will drop to the trunk first. It will overwrite your trash slot if the trunk is completely full. If trunk is full, extra weapons will be lost.
- "No drop" weapons won't end up in the trunk. No getting L*NK's sword, for example.
- Halloween weirdness if you play the game tomorrow.
- Vampires like in the Twilight novels.
- Mummies? I don't know.
- Dancing skeletons.
- Death itself.
- Fancy new megaweapon.
- New graveyard location!
- New TERRIFYING trader in trader camps.
- New rare city building with the Would You Kindly stream team, based on the results of the Death Road to Canada pre-launch race that they utterly failed at.
- Some characters can float or even fly now.
- Improved broom type.
- New Scythe weapon, somewhere in between a machete and knight sword in the weapon tiers.
- Currently the scythe can be obtained a couple of ways in the existing farmer help event. We will add a couple more ways to get it in the next content update.
- Some NPC wandering behavior fixes.
- Starting food changed so that the Ultrafit food bonus finally works.
- Functionality added for checking if your current weapons could bash a door in, for events.
- Fixed a particle effect glitch.
- Greatly expanded the event handler for characters, allowing for fancier special abilities.